Individuals can "Me!"-tweet about “going on vacation” or “don’t like my new sweater”. Companies however need to provide value. That’s the crux of the matter - any serious company must tweet about a product proposition. Many are too lazy and just put shortened URLs to their press releases in their tweets. If you are too much “Me!” as a company, you will be ignored by the Twitterati and not be retweeted.
What excites Twitterati and makes them to read a corporate tweet?
- Lead for new jobs
- Cool (free!) downloads
- Hot news about the company linked to a current event
- Great articles about an industry or area of interest (target your Twitterati!)
- Links to interesting newsletters or magazine articles
- Information about network/media events
- Links to funny cartoons or clips
- Links to great blog postings
To leverage Twitter, companies must be smart. They need to define their target group, offer tailored tweet content with a value proposition, and keep up the effort to maintain a Twitter presence.