A marketing audit will show how you are performing.
Following is a guideline on how to conduct a marketing audit.
1. List all the social marketing media you use:
- LinkedIn (corporate page, own group)
- Xing (corporate page, own group)
- Facebook (corporate page, groups)
- White papers
2. List your target audience for each one:
- Potential partners
- Media (newspapers, journalists, reporters)
- General public
3. List what your business, sales & marketing goals for using social media are:
- Reaching new customers (lead generation)
- Retaining customers
- Communication with customers (announcing news, special deals, updates such as recalls)
- Entering new markets
- Market research
4. Compare your social media with those of your competitors:
- Do they use the same social media?
- Do they reach the same target audience as you do?
- What social media do they use that you don’t?
- How frequent do they post, tweet, hold a webinar, publish newsletters?
- Are you covered mainstream (e.g., Yahoo news, Reuters, FOX) and industry media?
- Are being blogged about?
- Are you being covered by analysts and journalists?
- How many followers do you have?
- Do people leave comments for you (e.g., on your blog)?
- Do people share your content with others (LinkedIn, retweet, Facebook wall post)?
6. Rate the quality of your content.
- What content does your target audience like to see from you?
- What are they in general interested in (e.g., discounts, product updates)?
- What is the responses?
- Did you formulate goals?
- Do you measure results?
- Do you have a crisis management plan?
- Internal employee (Marcom, business development, marketing)
- External expert (e.g., Tip Top PR)
- PR company
9. Are you happy with your social media?
- Yes, it does what I want it to do!
- No, it does not contribute to my branding
- No, too many negative reactions
- No, not enough new leads
Once you analyze the answers, you will be able to take action. It will tell you if your social media campaign fits your company and how to improve and/or adjust it. Success!